INSANE Slow Motion with this $3,500 Camera
– What’s going on, fellas?
So, today, one of my really close friends,
Chris Rollins, is coming in to
town all the way from Texas.
He also has a YouTube channel, and
if you’ve been following the channel for a while,
you might remember him from when we
shot bow and arrows that explode.
– [Unison] Oh my-!
– Or, when we tried to do garden work with a drone.
A lot of sketchy things tend to
happen whenever we hang out together.
But, I think that’s why we like hanging out with each other.
He recently got a super high speed
camera called the Chronos, and
we’re talking up to like 40,000 frames per second.
What’s interesting about it is that usually
super slow-mo cameras are like, hundreds of
thousands of dollars, but this one is
relatively affordable at 3500,
so still expensive but, still within
the realm of accessibility.
But I wanna know how good is this thing,
what’s the image quality like, is it hard to use?
Let’s go meet up with him and check it out.
So a 1000 frames per second is as fast as you can,
well, fast in a way where…
– Yeah, 1000 frames per second is as slow as you can film.
– Slow and fast is complicated, because its like
slow motion, more slow motion?
Or faster frame rates, like what?
Every time I see slow-mo cameras, it’s all
hooked up to a bunch of different things,
but this, you’re saying, is just ready to go just like this.
– So, at a 1000 frames per second,
what resolution do we have?
– 1280 by a 1000.
– 1280 by a 1000. – So, a little over 720.
– You can’t just shoot everything at 40,000 fps, right?
You select the resolution and as you drop down on
the resolution, you could go higher in speed.
– At the highest resolution, you’re shooting at a
1000 fps, and then the faster you go,
or the more slow motion you wanna go,
Right. – That’s how I’ll word it.
The smaller that frame size gets.
– So, why don’t we just start with 1000 fps.
So, we’re gonna be at 1280 by 1024.
So, it’s like 720p but more on the top and bottom.
– Yeah, it’s just a little bit square.
The high speed’s rolling on a four second loop.
– Alright, so that’s an end trigger, right?
– So, as soon as the action happens,
then you go, okay, save the last four second loop.
– Yeah, correct.
– Got it.
– [Chris] We’re gonna play that back.
– [Unison] Whoa!
– [Gene] That was slow!
That’s a 1000 fps?
– [Chris] Yeah.
– So, you’re telling me this is as close as
it can get to real time, on this camera?
– Right, yeah.
This is as least as fast that we can do.
– You get what we’re saying, right?
Just for reference, let me show you
what this slow motion looks like.
That’s a 120 fps, that’s as fast as this camera can go.
It didn’t look that impressive, did it?
It didn’t even look slow anymore.
– Yeah, I know, right?
Okay, so now, we’re gonna play with what, 4000fps?
So, we’ve stepped it up a little bit.
Let’s see what this looks like.
Oh my God!
– [Chris] Look at the impact shockwave move down your wrist.
– [Gene] That’s insane how much detail you
see in every little thing when you’re that slow.
You know by the end of this video,
one of us is gonna need to get punched in the face for real.
– No, I think you should.
– I said, one of us, okay?
I didn’t imply me right away.
We’re gonna crank it up now, but now,
we’re dealing with a much smaller resolution.
– [Gene] All the way about 40,000 fps?
– [Chris] We’re recording on 336 by 96.
– [Gene] You guys will see, the resolution
on this thing’s not gonna be great.
What is your favorite frame rate to shoot in?
‘Cause 40,000, obviously, it’s awesome that you can do it,
but the quality is just not really there.
– [Chris] For most things, getting really good slow motion,
3000-5000, like the perfect sweet spot.
– [Gene] Yeah, because at 5000,
you’re still getting standard definition so,
obviously, not great but that’s still viewable.
You could still watch it and be like, that’s really cool.
This is the most boring punch I’ve ever seen in my life.
One second of filming at this frame rate takes
27 minutes to play back,
so, we’re over here bored.
Like this impact is still happening.
This is too slow now.
I mean, I could see how this would be
really useful for scientific research and stuff,
– [Chris] Yeah.
– [Gene] like studying how a baseball bat
bends during an impact.
So, even at 20,000 fps, you’re able to see a bullet.
– [Chris] Yeah.
– [Gene] That’s crazy, so this, half that even.
Like, I’m blown away at how simple this thing is.
I thought this was gonna be a lot more complex.
I love how it’s all just internal,
you could just use it like a DSLR.
Alright, so we’re headed to the
99 cents store for some inspiration.
– I wanna see if we can get some kind of confetti poppers.
– [Unison] Oh!
– [Gene] That’s so much more satisfying
in super slow motion.
We’re gonna have a karate competition in here and
see if we can punch through the watermelon.
– [Gene] Try using this, C-stand.
– Oh man, that’s gonna be good.
– [Chris] Look at my face.
– [Gene] You’re like, (manly exhaustion sound)!
– [Unison] Whoa! Yes!
– [Chris] Now I’m hungry, that looks awesome.
– [Gene] Wow, I can’t believe how slow this is.
Alright, a while ago, I got this thing called
the Pocket Shot and it’s like a little slingshot,
where you can take a little metal ball, put it in here,
and it’s apparently super strong.
So, I got my pocket shot here, and a soda,
let’s give this a shot.
– [Chris] You bounced it off the table.
– [Gene] I did?
– [Chris] What?
You were two feet away.
It’s still good. – [Gene] We got more soda.
– My wife’s gonna embrace her inner country girl.
– [Gene] How did that feel?
– [Chris] Oh, she hit the table too.
You see how it ripped open?
– [Gene] Dang.
– [Chris] Side split.
– We also got some of this silly string.
Steve’s gonna try shooting this.
Is it safe to shoot that?
I don’t think it’s safe, let’s do it.
– [Gene] Woo!
– Come at me, bro.
– [Chris] I like how it just says, party.
– Man, 10,000 fps is insanely slow.
It’s taking us forever to search through
this four second clip.
– [Chris] Ah, that’s cool.
I like how the stuff on the outside almost pauses,
like while new material gets shot out,
it’s like this stuff just hangs.
– [Steve] When he shot it, he immediately jumped back.
The more times its spun around, and his hand’s still there.
– [Chris] Ever wanna feel bad about your reflexes?
– Alright, so we got ourselves a giant water balloon,
and I think we should throw it in somebody’s face.
Who wants to volunteer?
– [Unison] 1, 2, 3, shoot!
– We just drawed three times in a row.
– [Unison] 1, 2, 3, shoot!
– I’m safe, now it’s you two.
– [Unison] 1, 2, 3, shoot!
– Woo hoo!
– It’s like fight club, you hit me in the ear!
(heavy drum piano music)
– There goes my brain cells!
Have you done this before?
– [Gene] So, how big does this explosion get?
– It’ll probably be like this, like a
nice little contained fire ball.
– We’re having Carrie do the most dangerous one.
(dramatic drum music)
– I left you just like, that was cool.
– [Gene] Nefty, was that cool?
She’s like, bro, that was sick.
Well, that was freakin’ awesome.
But anyways, that’s all we got for slow motion stuff here,
but you guys gotta go check out Chris’ channel where
he’s got tons of slow-mo stuff.
Basically attached a rocket launcher onto a drone.
It was pretty sick.
– Click, where, click here!
– It’s right here.
– It’s up here.
– Oh wait, right, no?
– No, it’s over here.
– It’s on the right, no, it’s this way. It’s right here.
– Are you putting a link? – Yeah.
Give him some ideas on what you guys wanna see in slow-mo.
– I’ve got some pretty explosive stuff coming up.
– Explosive stuff.
– Yeah, I don’t wanna say!
He’s over in Texas, so, everything he does
there is just bigger.
So, that was probably the capacity of the explosions that
you’ll see here in Los Angeles.
Out in Texas, it’s gonna be a little bit bigger than that.
Alright, let’s go read some comments.
For $3500, I’m kind of tempted to get one,
I’m not gonna do it though.
I have way too much crap, if anything,
I need to get rid of more stuff.
Speaking of giving away stuff,
congrats to Mark Gerrin, is that how you say your name?
Sorry if I butchered that.
But this is coming out your way to Denton, Texas.
Also, the winner of the Sennheiser G4s lavalier setup,
Victor Heron, again, sorry if I butchered
that pronunciation, but over in Poland.
So, a set of Sennheisers coming out your way.
Alright, let’s read some comments from my last video,
which was kind of about the importance of
prepping your gear before a shoot, and
how to check to make sure you have everything.
Top comment was from Freedom Hustler,
I would’ve thought the least exciting part of being a
filmmaker is doing your taxes.
That’s actually pretty true, also.
Actually, what day is it today? March 27th.
So, I actually don’t have that much time
left to do my taxes, I better get on it.
Melvin says, I traveled from New Jersey to
Florida with my first DSLR at time of family pictures,
no SD card.
That’s one of the reason why I felt like I needed to
make that video because it’s just so easy to pick up
a camera like this, and not even think about the SD card.
It sounds simple like, oh, I would never make a
stupid mistake like that, until you do it and you’re like,
oh my God, I’m an idiot.
I once went on a boat ride and as soon as I
got on the boat, I was like, no SD card,
oh this really sucks.
The habit that I have for super quick shoots, is that
I pick up my camera, and every time I pick it up,
I’ll just turn it on and hit record for one second.
It’s just like a dummy take that I’m gonna delete later but
as long as I see that, I know that
at least the battery’s okay and there’s a card in there.
Adrian says, haha bro, I saw you on your one wheeler
by the end of the LA marathon yesterday and
yelled, potato jet.
I definitely heard a couple different people yell
out potato jet, so maybe you were one of those guys.
I’m definitely gonna try to run that LA marathon
next year though.
If anyone else is doing it, then come join me.
Mr. Techy asks, bro, what software do you use to
edit your videos on?
Adobe Premiere, just because that’s what
I’m very comfortable with.
A lot of people are interested in DaVinci Resolve
because that’s the free software, and
it’s very advanced. You could do a lot of stuff with it.
I know Final Cut 10 is also a popular one,
which I tried for a little bit, didn’t like it
just because it was so foreign from any
other software I’ve used in the past.
It could be an option for you but right now,
I use Premiere and I’m super happy with it, I love it.
Sean says, this totally reminds me of
Dumb and Dumber’s hot pepper scene.
– Oh my God.
– I’m crying like a little (bleep).
Yeah, that was absolutely terrible.
Don’t buy this, but use my affiliate link.
Yeah, that’s pretty accurate of what you
can expect out of this channel, like this pocket shot.
I mean, this thing will totally take somebody’s eye out
as well as probably go through their entire head,
so don’t buy it, this is really dangerous,
but affiliate link down below if you’re interested.
God, I have no morals.
Bestseller No. 1
Video Camera Camcorder Full HD 1080P 36MP 30FPS Digital YouTube Vlogging Camera Video Recorder with Night Vision 3.0 Inch 270 Degree Rotation IPS Screen 16X Zoom Remote Control, 2 Batteries
- 【FHD Camcorder】The video camera is full HD 1080P, with 36 Megapixels, it supports Motion detection, Slow motion, Infrared night vision, 16X Digital Zoom, 3.0 inch IPS screen and so on. Perfect vlogging youtube camera gift for amateurs, such as kids, teens, and others.
- 【Webcam &HDMI Function】It can live stream directly connected directly to an HDTV with an HDMI cable and playback the videos you took. The vlogging youtube cameras also can be connected to the PC with the USB cable. Then you can transfer your files to your computer by choosing “MSDC” or take it as a webcam by choosing the “PC CAM” mode so as to enjoy video chatting or live streaming.
- 【Infrared Night Video Recorder】You can record in the dark with IR light. Its Infrared night vision has no effect on video and photo, and the color is black and white. Under ‘Infrared Night Vision’ function, the camera can capture high-definition images and videos, and it works perfectly in the dark, and can also shoot high-quality images in very low light.
- 【Support Remote Control:】The filming camera comes with remote control, you can take photos and videos by yourself anywhere and anytime. Do not need to ask others to help you take photos and videos. No members are excluded from the group photo. You can pause the video whenever you want and continue the recording without restarting a new file.
- 【Recording While Charging】The video camera comes with 2 rechargeable batteries, and it supports recording while charging. ACTITOP provides 30 days refund or replacement. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact us.
If you’re a lover of photography, then you’ll need to look for the best slow motion camera for your money. Without further ado here is what we think are the top value slow motion phones for the new year.
One of the best slow motion phones out there right now is the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. They feature a great camera, a great display, and a lot of features that will definitely help you take better photographs.
If you’re looking for slow motion cameras that are affordable and reliable, check out the Sony Xperia XZ2. It features a super-high-end camera that is well-built and durable. It’s the best value for your money because it comes with a lot of features and a camera that can give you a real photographic experience that you won’t soon forget.
The iPhone has a lot of things going for it in terms of quality camera, but it doesn’t necessarily excel in low-budget phones. If you’re looking for something a little more affordable, check out the Samsung Galaxy S8. This phone can give you a true photography experience that will last a lifetime and come with all kinds of other useful features like a music player and a wide variety of options when it comes to video recording.
The key to finding the best low-cost, low-quality cameras for your slow motion phones is knowing which camera is best for your needs. Do a little research and learn a little about your options. Then you’ll be ready to go out and pick the camera that works best for you!
If you want a high quality camera, you can go with the Sony Alpha NEX-5 or the Nokia 10. Both of these cameras have incredible sensors and cameras, but they don’t really deliver much else. They don’t give you enough storage to store a lot of pictures and won’t let you do much with them on social networking sites, for example.
If you want to save a lot of money, you might want to look into buying a cheap camera that is more of a novelty than a true piece of technology. For example, check out the Casio GoFlex G Pro.
No matter what your style of photography, or whether you’re looking for a simple, low-budget camera or a high-end camera, there are plenty of great choices available today on the market, and in all kinds of different places to get a digital SLR camera. And, remember, it never hurts to shop around.
Last update on 2021-04-22 / Disclaimer: as an Amazon Associate a Simply Philosophy team earns from qualifying purchases.